Round 9 Men’s A-Grade Wrap

Posted by:

THE top two positions in each conference of the Men’s A-Grade competition have been locked away but there were some interesting results in Round 9 action on Saturday with wins for Triton, South Fremantle Bloods, UWA City Beach and Port Colts.

That leaves the Bloods and Port Colts out on top of the Fremantle Conference, and UWA Flotsam despite their loss and Triton clear on top of the UWA Conference following nine rounds of the 2020 A-Grade season with one week now remaining until the semi finals.

Round 9 in the Men’s A-Grade competition got underway on Saturday afternoon at HBF Stadium with the Port Colts scoring an impressive win over the team on top of the UWA Conference, Flotsam 19-6.

Then at the same venue, UWA City Beach scored their third victory of the season beating Dolphins 22-4 while the South Fremantle Bloods remained undefeated with a 22-5 victory against UWA Rangers.

The final game of the round took place at Beatty Park and it saw Triton put in an impressive showing that even included a Luke Quinlivan goal with the cage unattended up the other end. Triton would go on to defeat the Melville Sharks 13-7 despite the best efforts of Rio Olympian Joel Swift.

Those results mean that with one round remaining until the semi finals that the South Fremantle Bloods are out clear on top of the Fremantle Conference with a perfect 9-0 record. Port Colts are second at 7-2 ahead of the Melville Sharks at 3-6 and Dolphins at 1-8.

UWA Flotsam and Triton, meanwhile, are tied atop the UWA Conference now with 6-3 records while UWA City Beach is 3-6 and UWA Rangers 1-8.

The Round 9 action began at HBF Stadium’s Outdoor Pool with UWA Flotsam taking on Melville’s Port Colts. Both teams came into the contest with identical 6-2 records but it was the Port Colts who shot out of the blocks with the game’s opening four goals courtesy of Clancy Neesham, Cody Smith, Neesham again and then Harry Bruce.

Matt Hughes pulled one back for Flotsam but the Port Colts led 5-1 by quarter-time which had become 7-1 early in the second quarter after goals to Drew Verboon.

He ended up with three goals for the half the Colts went into the break leading 12-2. The Port Colts added another three goals to two in the third quarter, and four to two in the fourth to come away with the commanding 19-6 victory.

Drew Verboon ended up scoring five goals for the Port Colts, Cody Smith three, Alex Petrov two, Harry Bruce two and Davis Verboon two. Tom Sangster scored four of the six goals for Flotsam.

Drew Verboon received the three votes, Oliver Davis the two and Davis Verboon the one.

Next up at HBF Stadium was UWA City Beach taking on Dolphins in a battle between two teams who had only combined for the three wins so far in 2020.

UWA got on top early and went on with the job to win 22-4 to improve to a 3-6 record on the season on the back of five goals from Sam Rowbottam, Taz Williams four, Andrew Barber four, Tyler Fazio three and Fraser Davis two.

Peter Gaunt and Tom Beare scored two goals apiece for Dolphins.

Then finally at HBF Stadium on Saturday, UWA Rangers played host to the South Fremantle Bloods, and it was the powerful Melville team that was able to keep its undefeated run going coming away with the 22-5 victory.

Luke Pavillard scored four goals for the Bloods, Elijah Neesham three, Alastair Bruce three, Craig Bruce three and Alex Gunnell two. Ben Marshall scored twice for Rangers.

The last game of the round took place at Beatty Park with plenty on the line between Triton and the Melville Sharks, and plenty of quality in the pool including Olympians Joel Swift, Luke Quinlivan and Florian Naroska.

Triton were on fire to start in their home pool with the opening four goals of the contest courtesy of Gabriel Tebar, Matt Oberman, Florian Naroska and Lewis Putt.

Joel Swift clawed one back for the Sharks but then Brett McGhie converted a 5m penalty for Triton.

Swift scored again to cut the Triton lead to 5-2 by quarter-time but the Sharks were warming to the task and when Swift scored in extra and then James Fannon scored soon after in normal play, the Triton lead was only 6-5.

They did go into half-time, though, up 7-5 following the goal on the buzzer from Luke Quinlivan who threw it the full length of the pool after Melville threw everything into their last attack with goalkeeper Flynn Mais part of it.

Triton was then able to take the game out of reach of the Sharks in the third quarter with goals to Naroska, Oberman, Putt, Oberman again and then Griffin Woodhouse to lead 12-6 and go on to record the 13-7 victory.

Matt Oberman finished with four goals for Triton, Florian Naroska two, Brett McGhie two and Lewis Putt two. Joel Swift delivered five goals for the Sharks.

Brett McGhie received the three votes, Joel Swift two and Lewis Putt one.

Round 10 in the Men’s A-Grade competition now takes place this Saturday with two games at HBF Stadium with Triton playing Dolphins, and UWA Rangers taking on Port Colts.

Then at Bicton Pool, the Melville Sharks play UWA City Beach and the South Fremantle Bloods play UWA Flotsam.