Round 3 Men’s Challenge Cup Wrap

Posted by:

BEATTY Park hosted a double-header in the Men’s Challenge Cup on Saturday with the Pressed Earth Dolphins remaining undefeated and Phantoms getting their first win on the board for 2017.

It was Round 3 of the 2017 Challenge Cup taking place at Beatty Park on Saturday afternoon with the Pressed Earth Dolphins ending up defeating Triton 17-6 before Phantoms then beat the Barbarians 14-9.

The results mean that the Dolphins remain on top of the Challenge Cup standings holding a 3-0 record having now played all other three teams in the competition.

Phantoms now have a win, a loss and a draw from their three games while the Barbarians have one win and two losses, and Triton a draw to go with two defeats.

Harry Paterson of Dolphins is leading the league in scoring after three rounds with 12 goals. Gaby Tebar, meanwhile, has scored eight goals while playing with Barbarians and five with Triton.

Jeremy Carbone from Dolphins has scored eight goals, Scott Chrystal (Phantoms) seven, Nick O’Halloran (Phantoms) seven and Peter Gaunt (Dolphins) six.

Round 3 began at Beatty Park on Saturday with Triton taking on Dolphins, and it was the league-leaders who started strongly with six goals in the first quarter as Harry Paterson (two), Jeremy Carbone (two), Luke Swanson and Peter Gaunt all scored.

Dolphins’ lead then grew to 8-0 midway through the second term following scores to Paterson and John Bell. Triton did get on the board just before half-time courtesy of Gaby Tebar. Dolphins responded through Gaunt before the last score of the half went to Triton from Hamish St George.

Triton also scored first to start the second thanks to Jack Perry but Dolphins responded immediately with four goals in the next five minutes to Bell, Paterson, Carbone and Paterson again.

Triton did add another thanks to Matt Reaper with 16 seconds left in the third quarter but Dolphins still had time to another through Paterson to lead 14-4 at three quarter-time.

Dolphins added another three goals to two from Triton in the fourth quarter to see them end up winning 17-6.

Paterson finished up scoring seven goals for Dolphins while Gaunt added four, Carbone three and Bell two. Jack Perry scored twice for Triton.

Paterson was awarded the three votes after the game with Carbone claiming the two and Gaunt the one.

Then it was onto the battle between Phantoms and the Barbarians also at Beatty Park, and it took just over a minute for Phantoms to score first with a penalty to Nick O’Halloran.

Lachlan Mackenzie scored with five minutes gone in the game to level scores at 1-1 before Phantoms regained the lead with a goal to Scott Chrystal. Again scores were level after a Barbarians goal to Mackenzie again just before quarter-time.

The opening three goals of the second term for Phantoms to Chrystal (two) and Kieran Bayles saw them take control with a 5-2 lead. Barbarians got one back through Xandy Buckland but Phantoms again responded with the next two from Scott Chrystal and Aden Chrystal.

Barbarians did manage two more goals before half-time both from Gaby Tebar but Phantoms were still on top leading 8-5.

That was 10-5 just before three quarter-time following three scores to Phantoms from Aden Chrystal and Scott Chrystal once again along with Nick O’Halloran.

Barbarians did finish strongly with four goals to three in the fourth quarter but Phantoms still managed to run out 14-9 victors.

Scott Chrystal ended up scoring six goals for Phantoms, Esi Shahmir three, Aden Chrystal two and Nick O’Halloran two. Tebar added four for Barbarians and Mackenzie two.

O’Halloran claimed the three votes while Tibor Seress from Barbarians was awarded two and his goalkeeper Tomaz Lasic one.

Round 4 of the Challenge Cup takes place this Saturday with a double-header at Claremont Pool with Phantoms taking on Dolphins, and Triton playing Barbarians.

Triton 6 lost to Pressed Earth Dolphins 17 at Beatty Park
Phantoms 14 beat Barbarians 9 at Beatty Park