Men’s A-Grade– Round 9 Results

Posted by:

SATURDAY’S Round 9 action in the Men’s A-Grade competition saw Fremantle Conference wins for the Port Colts and South Fremantle Bloods while Triton and UWA Flotsam drew in the UWA Conference and UWA City Beach beat UWA Rangers.

Following the extended break over the festive season, the Men’s A-Grade competition was back for its second week of action on Saturday and the result was some tremendous water polo and fascinating results.

The two games on Saturday in the Fremantle Conference took place at Bicton Pool with the Port Colts beating the Melville Sharks 9-6 before the South Fremantle Bloods beat Dolphins 17-3.

Then in the two UWA Conference match ups at Beatty Park, Triton and UWA Flotsam drew 5-5 and UWA City Beach defeated UWA Rangers 13-11.


The weekend’s results leave the South Fremantle Bloods (8-1) on top of the Fremantle Conference ahead of Port Colts (6-3), Melville Sharks (3-5, one draw) and Dolphins (0-8, one draw).

And in the UWA Conference, UWA Flotsam sit atop the standings with eight wins and a draw while UWA City Beach are second with a 5-4 record. Triton are third with three wins, five losses and a draw, and UWA Rangers have one win and eight defeats.

Starting with the Fremantle Conference action at Bicton Pool, two Melville teams did battle with the Sharks playing the Port Colts.

Things remained tight with scores level at 3-3 midway through the second quarter before the Port Colts pulled away before half-time with goals to Clancy Neesham and Aaron Oughtibridge.

Their lead grew to 6-3 with a goal to Tom Prior to start the third quarter with Port Colts going on to record the 9-6 victory.

Tom Prior finished with three goals for Port Colts, Clancy Neesham two and Jordan Kremers-Taylor two. Joel Swift and James Fannon scored twice each for the Sharks.

Prior received the three votes, Flynn Mais two and Fannon one.

The Bloods then took on Dolphins with South Fremantle starting on fire with the first three goals of the contest. They went on to lead 6-1 by the end of the first quarter and were still in control leading 8-1 by half-time.

The change of ends did see Dolphins score the second half’s first goal through Harry Paterson, but the Bloods took back over soon after and went on to record the 17-3 victory.

Will Mackay hit six goals for the Bloods, Scott Chrystal three, Petar Tomasevic two and Alex Gunnell two. Harry Paterson scored twice for Dolphins and Jeremy Carbone once.

Mackay received the three votes, Tomasevic two and Paterson one.

Meanwhile in the UWA Conference at Beatty Park, action got underway on Saturday with Triton playing UWA Flotsam.

Triton went ahead to 2-1 by the end of the first quarter thanks to a goal to Max Contessi but Flotsam drew level to start the second term through Drew Lilleyman.

It remained goal for goal the rest of the way with Triton going ahead 5-4 thanks to Hamish St George before Flotsam secured the draw with two minutes to go courtesy of Lilleyman.

The 5-5 draw saw Drew Lilleyman the only player in the game to score two goals.

Phil Salter of Flotsam was awarded the three votes, Luke Quinlivan two and Hamish St George one.

UWA Rangers then took on UWA City Beach with Rangers scoring the opening two goals and remaining in control of the contest leading 6-3 by half-time.

The change of ends brought about a change in fortunes, though, with City Beach dominating the second half with 10 goals to five to come from five goals down to win by two.

Sam Rowbottam scored four goals for City Beach, Lachie Emanuel three, Ollie Sheldrick three and Ben Marshall two.

Campbell McAullay, Scott Lilleyman, Andrew Barber and Menno Talbot all scored twice for Rangers.

Parsa Vahdani was given the three votes, Sheldrick two and Talbot one.



Melville Sharks 6 lost to MWPC Port Colts 9
MWPC South Fremantle Bloods 17 defeated Dolphins 3

Triton 5 drew with UWA Flotsam 5
UWA Rangers 11 lost to UWA City Beach 13