Men’s A-Grade– Round 8 Results

Posted by:

HOSTILITIES resumed in the Men’s A-Grade competition on Saturday for the first time in 2019 and that saw Fremantle Conference victories for Port Colts and South Fremantle Bloods with UWA City Beach and UWA Flotsam winning in the UWA Conference match ups.

It was the first round in the Men’s A-Grade competition since mid-December with the way teams returned to action always sure to be fascinating to see.

The two Fremantle Conference games took place on Saturday at Bicton Pool with Port Colts defeating Dolphins 13-10 and the South Fremantle Bloods beating Melville Sharks 13-7.

Then in the UWA Conference games at HBF Stadium, UWA City Beach defeated Triton 10-6 and UWA Flotsam beat UWA Rangers 13-5.

Men’s A-Grade – Mid-season recap 

Saturday’s results leave South Fremantle Bloods (7-1) on top of the Fremantle Conference ahead of Port Colts (5-3), Melville Sharks (3-4, one draw) and Dolphins (0-7, one draw).

Then in the UWA Conference, UWA Flotsam remained undefeated at 8-0 to sit ahead of UWA City Beach (4-4), Triton (3-5) and UWA Rangers (1-7).

The Fremantle Conference action at Bicton Pool began with Dolphins taking on Port Colts.

It was a tight first half with the Colts heading into the change of ends leading 7-5 but Dolphins wouldn’t go away.

Port Colts still led 11-8 by three quarter-time but Dolphins hung around with two goals each in the fourth quarter, but Colts did just enough to win 13-10.

Tom Prior scored six goals for Port Colts and Luca Altieri three while Harry Paterson finished with four goals for Dolphins, Jeremy Carbone three and Nikita Tzvetanov two.

Prior received the three votes, Paterson two and Luca Altieri one.

The second game then was a battle of two Melville teams with the Bloods taking on the Sharks with South Fremantle prevailing 13-7.

The UWA Conference action at HBF Stadium began on Saturday afternoon with Triton taking on UWA City Beach.

City Beach pulled ahead 3-2 at quarter-time with a goal to Lachie Emanuel but things were all locked up at 4-4 by half-time.

UWA went ahead again in the third quarter with goals to Ollie Sheldrick and went on with the job to win 10-6.

Ollie Sheldrick ended up with three goals for UWA City Beach, Sam Rowbottam two, Byron Kelly two and Lachie Emanuel two. Hamish St George and Gaby Tebar scored twice each for Triton.

Emanuel was awarded the three votes, Tebar two and Kelly one.

The second game at HBF Stadium pitted two UWA teams against one another, Flotsam and Rangers.

Flotsam started on fire with the opening four goals of the game thanks to the first three from Devon Thumwood and then another by Taz Williams.

Rangers got one back right on quarter-time through Menno Talbot. But Flotsam went on with the job to lead 7-3 at half-time, 9-5 at three quarter-time and winning 13-5.

Devon Thumwood hit six goals for Flotsam and Nick Hughes three with Menno Talbot scoring twice for Rangers.

Talbot was awarded the three votes, Hughes two and Thumwood one.


Port Colts 13 defeated Dolphins 10
MWPC South Fremantle Bloods 13 defeated Melville Sharks 7

Triton 6 lost to UWA City Beach 10
UWA Flotsam 13 defeated UWA Rangers 5