Men’s Premier League Round 8 Wrap

Posted by:

IT was a good day for the Fremantle teams in the Men’s Premier League on Saturday as the Melville Sharks, South Fremantle Bloods and Port Colts all won their Cross Conference battles with the UWA Flotsam just overcoming Dolphins.

It was the second round of Cross Conference action for the 2017-18 Men’s Premier League season as teams from the Fremantle and UWA conferences locked horns.

Starting at HBF Stadium, the results saw the Melville Sharks defeat UWA Rangers 9-1 and the South Fremantle Bloods beat UWA City Beach 13-2.

Then at Bicton Pool, UWA Flotsam won a thriller 7-6 over Dolphins while Port Colts defeated Triton 11-4.

The results from Saturday mean that from the Fremantle Conference, the South Fremantle Bloods have a win and draw in Cross Conference action while the Melville Sharks are 2-0, Port Colts 2-0 and Dolphins 0-2.

And from the UWA Conference, the UWA Rangers have one draw and a loss while UWA Flotsam are 1-1, Triton 1-1 and UWA City Beach 0-2.

Despite having not played now for several weeks, Triton’s Florian Naroska remains the Men’s Premier League leading scorer following eight rounds with 19 goals.

Joel Swift of the Melville Sharks is next with 17 goals ahead of Will McKay (Bloods) 16, Luca Altieri (Port Colts) 15, Nick Hughes (Flotsam) 14, Lach Pethick (Rangers) 14, Nick Redbond (Sharks) 14, Tom Prior (Port Colts) 13, Brett McGhie (Triton) 12 and Petar Tomasevic (Bloods) 12.

Saturday’s Cross Conference action got underway at HBF Stadium with the UWA Rangers hosting the Melville Sharks. It took five minutes for the game’s first goal and it went the way of the Sharks through Tom Harries.

They then added a second before quarter-time courtesy of Joel Swift.

That soon became 4-0 by half-time following second quarter Melville goals from Swift to give him three for the half.

Melville’s lead grew to 6-0 by three quarter-time after goals to Jordan Lane and Jake Leavy. Then it was 8-0 following goals to start the fourth term to Nick Redbond and Harries.

Rangers eventually scored with two minutes left through Scott Lilleyman but the Sharks secured the 9-1 win when Redbond added another.

Joel Swift finished with three goals for Melville, Nick Redbond two and Tom Harries two.

Swift received the three votes, Harry Mayer the two and Harry Konowalous the one.

Also at HBF Stadium, the youthful UWA City Beach took on the Fremantle Conference leading South Fremantle Bloods.

The Bloods had been in scintillating Fremantle Conference form and brought that into the clash with the young UWA City Beach team. South Fremantle scored the first six goals of the game to lead 6-0 just 45 seconds into the second half.

A penalty for UWA City Beach to Sam Rowbottam saw them get off the duck but the Bloods went on to lead 9-1 by three quarter-time after goals to Michael Brown, Jacob Jones and Alex Gunnell.

After another four goals to one in the final term, South Fremantle had secured the 13-2 victory.

Nick O’Halloran scored five goals for the Bloods, Petar Tomasevic two and Michael Brown two.

Ed Slade received the three votes for his efforts in goal for South Fremantle while Tomasevic was given two votes and O’Halloran one.

And at Bicton Pool, Dolphins played UWA Flotsam. Dolphins were looking for just the second win of their season and that job became tougher when Flotsam started strongly with the opening three goals either side of quarter-time from Nick Hughes, Henry Brown and Andrew Ford.

Dolphins did strike back before half-time with a goal to Chris Reynolds and added another to start the second half from Jeremy Carbone. Flotsam steadied to lead 4-2 after a goal to Hughes, but Dolphins wouldn’t go away and soon levelled scores with two quick goals to Tom Beare.

Dolphins then took a 6-4 lead into three quarter-time with two more goals to Sam Dobney and Carbone.

That left Flotsam with work to do in the fourth term but they responded with three goals from Ford, Dan Toleman and Hughes again to end up winning 7-6.

Nick Hughes scored three goals for Flotsam and Andrew Ford two. Jeremy Carbone hit two goals for Dolphins as did Tom Beare.

Beare received the three votes, Ford the two and Hughes the one.

Then finally it was the in-form Port Colts playing Triton also at Bicton Pool.

It was a goal apiece in the opening period and it was then 2-2 early in the second quarter before Port Colts pulled away leading into half-time to open up a 6-3 advantage by the change of ends.

Triton did pull back to within two goals to start the second half with a goal to Matt Oberman. But that would be their last score of the contest with Port Colts scoring the last two goals of the third quarter and the only three of the final stanza to end up winning 11-4.

Tom Prior scored four goals for Port Colts, Alex Petrov three and Tim Neesham three. Brett McGhie scored twice for Triton.

Petrov received the three votes, Prior the two and Triton’s McGhie the one.


ROUND 8 – Saturday December 2
Cross Conference
UWA Rangers 1 lost to Melville Sharks 9
Dolphins 6 lost to UWA Flotsam 7
UWA City Beach 2 lost to South Fremantle Bloods 13
Port Colts 11 defeated Triton 4